Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Family Name





When looking back on my family heritage my mom's side is easy. My grandparents immigrated to America from the Netherlands. So 100% Dutch from my mom's side. But when I looking into my dad's line it is not so clean cut. It turns out my dad is part German, a big mix of some other European stuff and SCOTTISH! I don't even have to look back that far to find my family tartan. My grandmothers maiden name is Stewart. Above is the Stewart family clan tartan.

So I looked into a bit of the history of the Stewart family clan tartan.  It is the personal tartan of Queen Elizabeth II. It is also traditional that the subjects of Queen Elizabeth II wear the same tartan.  In the 1960's the Stewart tartan became known by the motor racing community through three-time Formula One World Champion Jackie Stewart. He always wore his band of Royal Stewart tartan around his crash helmet. The Stewart tartan was brought to life again with the 1970's punk rock scene. There is not just one version of the Stewart tartan either. Tuns of individual families all underneath the Stewart name have created an altered version of this tartan. There is even a mourning version of the Stewart tartan for those who have lost a loved one. So much history and tradition behind a print it's amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment